This research project is part of a wide plan spanning on a time interval much longer than the duration of this proposal. The economical support to this project is for funding the advanced research described below and for funding the enrichment of existing facilities (HW and SW plus measurement instrumentation). Other resources and support will be acquired for the social and strategic aims of the long-range plan.
The challenge of the entire plan is to favor in this country the Knowledge Society, to match the demand of speed of change that impose continuous and lifelong learning. Faced with the pressing need to procure personnel with the proper knowledge and the necessity to continuously update the information-technology skill of their employees, firms will be involved in the task traditionally accomplished by university, high education, by nourishing universities with gift and research contracts.
A body that will facilitate the execution of the second part of the plan is the Inter-University Analog Microelectronics Research Center being established with the contributions of UniPV and IUSS. Its mission is favoring advanced knowledge creation in the two funding Universities. As a matter of facts the creation of knowledge needs quite special “boundary conditions”. They are:
- Stimulating and well-equipped environment; it must be obviously made by computer, software, and experimental labs but also with scientific events and knowledge transfer opportunities.
- Bright and motivated students: bright students are initially motivated. Educational approaches must keep high the enthusiasm and the hopefulness of best students by limiting routinely works and providing new perspectives.
- Challenging state-of-the-art targets: this feature is essential for stimulating creativity.
The need for a rapid utilization of knowledge for social development leads to the next six conditions:
- Addressing real problems.
- Access to state-of-the-art technology.
- Link with industry.
- Peer and industrial review.
- Continuous communications with the real world.
- Visibility and recognition.
The model that inspires the research activities of this proposal is the scheme of Figure 1 that divides the market technology plane in four segments. The one on the left side corresponds to conventional development strategies. The ones on the right side are the guidelines for this project as they foresee both discontinuous and evolutionary innovation, essential features for creating new markets and supporting the existing ones.
Figure 1 - Market-technology strategies